If Keanu Reeves, Charlize Theron, Florence Pugh and many others can bring their mum to the Oscar’s then why are you complaining about not having a date for Valentine’s Day! Shake off that negativity and embrace the mum date, the mate date and even date yourself!
You may have heard me on the radio last week talking about the joy of being single, and if your saying is there a joy? Then you haven’t been embracing single life to its fullest! Have you star fished on a king size bed? Watched a full box set without being interrupted or waiting for some to return from work? Ok these are little tiny things but I like my single life. Of course it would be nice to have someone for family weddings and to snuggle up on the sofa with and fingers crossed when the time eventually comes to bring little mini Emer’s into the world. But today is not the day to get depressed about not having another half, you don’t need another half to feel complete!!
There are a lot of perks of being single although this time of the year it’s hard to find the positives but let’s try and change our mindset. Let’s not focus on negatives but let’s embrace the love in our life’s. Whether you are celebrating Galentine’s, Palentine’s or Valentine’s Day lets make this a positive day. Let’s focus on the logic of celebrating friendships, relationships and loving yourself!
Be more like Bridget (Bridget Jones) never worry about the right partner- you’ve got this!
• Treat your friends, colleagues, neighbours and loved ones to your time. Go out for brunch or dinner. Don’t fancy it this week well how about a foodie adventure over Belfast Restaurant week (find out more here).
• Treat yourself to a spa day, unwind and rejoice that because you are single you can have a spa whenever you like!! This ones on my hit list, might even book it myself in for a day off just to enjoy it! The Fire & Ice Spa Experience at The Spa at Slieve Donard or The Spa at Culloden
• Give your family, your extended family or your adopted family some of your precious time, even for a quick cuppa, a walk or a quick chat it’s amazing how spending twenty minutes with someone can boast there serotonin. Or if your feeling really indulgent what about afternoon tea at Grand Central Hotel!
• Treat yourself! Buy yourself the cupcakes, chocolates and the flowers and go out for brunch, go to the cinema (my top picks this week Birds of Prey or Sonic the Hedgehog) and the theatre (check out Dream, Sleep, Connect and Kiss Me Kate at the Lyric theatre Belfast).
• Spend time with the people in your life who love you the most! FaceTime if you can’t be near.
Have a mate date or a solo date but celebrate and feel good! And if all else fails get a takeaway and a rom-com! I’ve been very kindly sent a pizza and prosecco from Asda and I’ve booked in to see Kiss Me Kate! So that’s me sorted, let me know what you get up to?
Emer D xx