So far in this series of blog posts I have concentrated on where to go, what to eat, different activites to do over the weekend. I love having an active life and living for every moment but sometimes its nice to actually not have any plans. To have a day/night at home and chill out. That is exactly the point of this post and if you read on you may actually earn yourself a treat of pure indulgence thanks to Bath Boards NI.
My tips for getting some peace and quiet at home. If you are a regular reader you will know that I am a 30 something singleton who lives alone, so to be honest I can close the front door leaving the world and its mother out there. However I find it impossible to switch off! I am a workalholic and since recently turning freelance I feel gulity for taking time out for me. I’m sure if you are a busy parent or a carer you find this even more impossible but after reading this post lets promise each other that we will try to get at least 5mins to ourselves everyday!! I will if you do.
So here are my top five things I love to do when I’m trying to switch off:
- Read a book!! I am a big reading nerd, I love to read everything I can get my hands on but the busier I get the less time I have to read. A work of fiction which I could have easily finished in a few days now can sometimes take up to a year. So I’ve been trying to put the mobile devices and ipads to one side at night and instead pick up a piece of fiction. It seems to have worked wonders for my sleeping pattern, even getting one chapter/or a few pages in at night. (Im currently reading Aliza Lights Leave your mark an interesting insight on landing your dream job and working in Social Media but I can usually be found with a good Patricia Scanalan or Meave Binchy.)
- YOGA!! Ok so anyone that knows me or has made me can contest I’m not the fittest person about and before you go Yoga is just alot of stretching theres no workout in the that have you actually tried it? Maintaining your flow or even balancing for a few minutes can be a real challange and break a sweat but in that hours class you don’t do anything else but think about your movements and breathing. Mobile phones are banned and peace/quiet mediation are the order of the day. I love it!! If you want to try it out try a drop in class. I highly recommend Flow studios in Belfast. They have classes for all abilites are friendly and you never feel judged even if you get half way through the class and want to stay in childs pose!
- A WALK! On the exercise side of things, if yoga isnt your thing why not take a stroll, dander, power walk whatevers your thing in some fresh air. I like walking on my own with head phones in and within reason to health and safety letting my mind go blank for a little while. Amazingly I actually come up woth more ideas and feel more creative after a walk.
- FACE MASKS!! ok I am not a beautican, I have no idea what I should be doing about skincare or multi-masking etc. Check out my friend @thatskincaregrrrl if you want advice. But I have to say there is something satisfying about putting on a mask. You are not preparing to face the world its actually the complete opposite you are ready to hibernate. Very few people are allowed to see you with one on and it’s just pure indulgence. I love a good mud mask or a sheet mask one which is nurient rich and always find fabulously quirky ones at tkmaxx.com if not it’s off to Lush and while I’m there I pick up a few treats for tip number 5.
- A HOT BATH! This point can incorporate points 1 and 4 and if you are looking I also like to have a little glass vino. To me their is nothing more relaxing than a hot bath. Don’t get me worng I love a hot shower in the morning or getting ready for a night out. But a hot bath with a good book, a glass of wine, some music and lots and lots of candles and I am completely in my comfort zone!!
- (HIDDEN BONUS: If this sounds like your kind of thing go on to my Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/emerdblog like the page and like this post (the one with a link to this blog page) to be in with a chance of winning an amazing Bath Board from Bath Boards NI, the ultimate bathing tool. (it will hold all of the above at more plus it means nothing gets soggy!) A winner will be chosen at random when the competition closes at 9pm on Sunday 23rd July 2017. UK and Ireland entries only.(Sorry will have an international competition soon)
So I hope after reading this you have a chilled and relaxed weekend. I would love to hear from you and how you relax? Let me know and if you enter the Bath Boards NI competition Good Luck.
Emer D xx